We invite a specialist to work as a consultant on language support for a resident expert (Service Contract)
Language Consultant for Resident Twinning Advisor
The Twinning Project in Belarus is implemented by the consortium consisting of the German Central Customs Authority, the Polish National Revenue Administration, and the Customs Department under the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Lithuania, together with the State Customs Committee of the Republic of Belarus (SCC) and the Delegation of the European Union to Belarus. The purpose of the Twinning Project is to strengthen the capacities of the SCC and to contribute to the establishment of a working model for cooperation in the customs area between the EU and the Republic of Belarus so that legitimate trade is facilitated and supply chain risks in international commerce are minimized. Therefore, the Twinning Project will support SCC in building up its capacity in the areas of regulatory framework, information exchange, vocational training and re-training capabilities, utilization of the customs infrastructure and dialogue with business partners.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH has been assigned by the German Central Customs Authority to support the project implementation by providing project and financial management to the Twinning Project. The project is projected to start its implementation in 1 September 2020 and will last 24 months.
Objective of the assignment:
In order to have a smooth project implementation and support the administrative needs and requests of the three Member State partners and the SCC, the Twinning Project expressed the necessity for additional support of a Language Consultant, who is highly experienced with international projects and also familiar with the Belarusian context. The Language Consultant should help the Twinning Project in translating certain administrative documents and important project deliverables, as well as to provide interpretation during project events and workshops.
Scope of the Assignment and main activities:
The Language Consultant will provide the following services:
1. Project environment in Belarus:
· Familiarise herself with the project system in place in Belarus, the framework of Twinning Projects by the European Union and the official Twinning Manual of the European Union, applying to the present Twinning Project.
· Deepen the existing knowledge on necessary Customs administration vocabulary.
2. Opening Conference:
· Provide translation of all project deliverables, necessary to implement the Kick-Off Conference, including visibility material, press releases and other project documents.
· Summarise the communication activities of the general public on the project (press releases and other reports) in English and Russian language.
· Provide interpretation during the Kick-Off conference.
3. Steering Committee Meetings:
· Translate project documentation for the Steering Committee Meetings, which will take place during the assignment.
4. Project documents and deliverables during the project implementation:
· Translate administrative documents for official project events, as well as project documents and further deliverables for all activities taking place under Component 1 to 5 of the Twinning Project.
1. Translation of the Kick-Off Conference Documentation:
· 1 Project Leaflet,
· 1 Press Release of the Project,
· 1 Project Banner,
· 1 List of Participants,
· 1 Presentation for the Opening Event,
· 1 Service Order document and contract to be agreed with the venue of the Opening Conference,
· 1 Service Order document and contract for visibility material suppliers,
· 1 Service Order document for an additional interpreter for the Opening Event.
2. Interpretation of the Kick-Off Conference:
· 1 day of interpretation services during the Opening Conference of the Twinning Project.
3. Translation for Steering Committee Meetings:
· Up to 3 Quarterly Reports,
· Up to 3 Financial Reports,
· 1 General Template for the Project Presentation,
· 5 Project Presentations for the Steering Committee Meetings, with 15 to 20 slides per presentation.
4. Translation of project documents and deliverables during the project implementation:
· Up to 60 supporting documents (up to 600 pages), provided by SCC in order to prepare activities under Component 1 to 5,
· Up to 100 Terms of References, 100 Mission Certificates and 100 corresponding Time Sheets (up to 600 pages), after every expert mission under the Twinning Project, taking place under Component 1 to 5,
· Up to 15 Side Letters (up to 50 pages) being approved during the assignment.
The assignment is scheduled to start on 01 September 2020 for a total of up to 180 working days. The assignment will end on 31 August 2021. The assignment of the Language Consultant shall be delivered in Minsk and the whole assignment should be designed as follows:
No. of Working Days (up to) and base of delivery
Project environment in Belarus
Project needs assessment (administrative level)
Steering Committee Meetings
Project documents and deliverables during the project implementation
Total Working Days (up to)
The Language Consultant reports to the Resident Twinning Advisor, the Project Leaders and GIZ Project Manager and Financial Advisor.
Requirements to candidates:
· University degree, preferably in Translation and Interpreting in English;
· At least 3 years of work experience in translation and/ or interpretation activities; experience with simultaneous interpretation would be an asset;
· Professional certificate in English language knowledge;
· Preferably knowledge of structures and terminology of Customs processes, trade and business sector, and economics, gained through professional work experience in the sector or through University studies;
· At least one reference to work experience in international projects / organisations and / or at least one year of professional work experience outside of Belarus would be an advantage.
The applicant may not be (or have been in the past 6 months) a civil servant or agent of the beneficiary administration (SCC) nor be on leave from the beneficiary to take up the position.
Your application in English language must include:
- - Letter of intention, signed by the applicant, explaining the compliance with the eligibility criteria for the specification post;
- - Europass CV in English language with detailed description of professional experience and education (with exact dates); the following format should be used: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae/templates-instructions
- - Copies of supporting documents (the copy of the University diploma, reference letters and certificates in the original language and, if available, in English).
· All documents must be sent only one time in PDF format. Incomplete applications or sent to the mentioned email address after the above deadline will be disqualified and treated as non-eligible.
· Only applicants selected for the interview will be notified.
· Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview remotely via Skype or MS Teams or in Minsk in the last week of July 2020. An assignment may be part of the interview.
Subject of the email: Application for “Language Consultant for Resident Twinning Advisor”